[time-nuts] I've designed a GPSDO, but how "good" is it?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 16 15:27:44 EDT 2015

Nick,

To get you started, I would use a free-running Rubidium and a
time-interval counter. The rubidium will be having the wrong frequency,
but that should cancel out in the Allan deviation processing. The drift
of the rubidium clock will form a limit, but you can overcome that by
using either Hadamard deviation or do drift-removal. Collect your data
with TimeLab and you have a good starting-point. The time interval
counter should at least have 1 ns single-shot resolution, the more the
merrier. Try grab a SR620 or HP5370 or something.

The setup I propose is not optimum, but should give you some interesting
result and hopefully in the right direction.

If you can, recording the GPSDOs state such as time-error, EFC and other
key parameters in parallel can be very helpful in analysis, so make sure
it pops that out so you can have a time-stamped file with it.

The rubidum trace will be the external "judge" of what movements it
really did except for long-term where the rubidiums systematics starts
to cave in.

There comes that point when a GPSDO vendor needs to turn on their
Cesium, but I think you have some issues and things to learn before you
need to do that. Had to support one GPSDO vendor over my mobile phone at
one time as to how to bring up the cesium, so much fun. They reached
that point for the right reason. :)

Cheers,
Magnus