[time-nuts] "Vanguard Ultra precision Golden Oscillator"

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Aug 24 07:14:58 EDT 2015

Hi
> On Aug 23, 2015, at 10:29 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

> kb8tq at n1k.org said:
>> There is not a lot to an un-compensated crystal oscillator. Tuning it on
>> frequency is fairly simple. Even for odd  frequencies Mouser will happily
>> sell you a crystal for next to nothing. Toss in a handful of parts and you
>> have a very respectable oscillator. For a basement project … much better
>> than spending $40 on something suspect from who knows who.
>
> What's magic about a crystal as compared to an osc?  Is it really easier to
> get an odd-ball frequency in a crystal vs an osc?

When I do a Mouser search for frequencies in the range I mentioned, the number
of frequencies is pretty small. If I switch over to looking at crystals at Mouser, the
frequency choices are a lot greater. Yes, as with the oscillators you need to sort out
the ones that aren’t going to cut it.

To your point - no, you can’t get anything / any frequency through distribution. That’s
true both of oscillators and of crystals. You just more picks with the crystals.

Bob