[time-nuts] looking for SMT oscillator SC cut, with no oven

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 20:27:19 EDT 2015

On 8/26/15 2:38 PM, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:
> Am 26.08.2015 um 22:04 schrieb Javier Herrero:
>>
>> I suppose that one of the alternatives that you've explored are the
>> ABLNO from Abracon http://www.abracon.com/Precisiontiming/ABLNO.pdf
>
> looks just like this one from Crystek:
>
> < http://www.digikey.de/product-search/de?keywords=cvhd-950 >

Yep, that's one (and similar ones) that's my current "best I found in an
hour of googling"

> but that fails the specs, also. If you have a good quality 5 or 10 MHz
> source in your
> system, you can lock the VCXO to it and clean it up close to the carrier.

Nope.. this oscillator is the ADC clock: it's a direct sampling receiver
to look at narrow band signals in the 3-30 MHz range.
> Maybe Axtal has something.
I'll look..

>> They say that they are 3rd overtone, but it seems more an AT-cut than
>> a SC, and anyway is around 10dB poorer
>
> SC requires high temperature, that does not go together well with SMD
> and low power.

SC only requires high temperature if you want to operate close to the
turnover to minimize temperature effects.

I've got a GPS 1pps to count my oscillator, so the sampled data can be
post processed to take out the frequency variations.  You'd get a bunch
of digital samples and the timestamps when the 1pps occurs.

I'm kind of hoping someone has run across a SMT OCXO where there's a
separate oscillator and oven power pin.