[time-nuts] GPS down converter question

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 1 21:41:27 EST 2015

Hi

So back to the question …. does a 70 (ish) MHz fancy filter really buy you
anything ahead of the main box? If you will be multiply band limited ahead
of the mixer (antenna and saw), the contribution of the 70 MHz filter will
likely be minimal. Note that I’m comparing a filter that costs money to a
L-C tank that is essentially free rather than truly no filter at all.

========

One other thing to consider - Most antennas have a *lot* of gain in them.
Back when I took the course, the standard advice was to put as little gain
ahead of your mixer as possible. It’s all tied up in the impact gain has on
the distortion products. That also would drive you towards a filter ahead
of the mixer approach.

Bob

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 8:33 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Digikey was a strike out with 1 filter for 86 cents but order was 1000
> units.
> Mouser however has a wide assortment very reasonable and by the single
> units.
> Hardest thing will be soldering them.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:29 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello to the group have indeed done the 1575 down to 35.42 to 75.42 and
>> upconverter trick.
>> Thats what I used for 2-3 years now and thought it was time to move beyond
>> that approach. Especially due to the earlier conversation on old receivers
>> and that they should still work just fine if you do not care about the date.
>>
>> I actually have 2 versions of the 35 to 75 converter. One using an odetics
>> down converter and another using a starlink gps receiver. Both have 35.42
>> MHz IFs. Old stuff you can get a soldering iron into.
>>
>> No intention to put this on the tower and mini-circuits makes a good BPF
>> for the 75 MHz IF. Since I will believe the actual antenna has a 1571
>> filter in it I was thinking of skipping it down in the shack.
>>
>> Will see what digikey and mouser has in the way of filters and if
>> inexpensive may buy one. I keep thinking I may actually have one also.
>> Thanks again everyone.
>> Paul
>> WB8TSL
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Alex Pummer <alex at pcscons.com> wrote:
>>
>>> for 70MHz it does not hurt to match the cable to the filter at the
>>> antenna unit [down converter]  end  and also match the filter at the
>>> receiver upconverter end, the cable will pick up enough noise to overdrive
>>> the 70 something receiver's input  [ the "outside" field will drive a
>>> current in the cable's shield, but not in the center conductor, that
>>> current causes noise voltage between the two end of the cable's shield
>>> which will end up at the input of the receiver, therefore it need to be
>>> filtered out before it hits the mixer......also the down converter's LO's
>>> reference is sensitive to the noise which the cable will pick up [ will
>>> cause phase noise ], therefore it needs to be filtered .....
>>> That down up converter system is an interesting project but it is not
>>> that simple as it looks
>>> 73
>>> KJ6UHN