[time-nuts] GPS down converter question

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Dec 2 16:38:01 EST 2015

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:36:48 -0500
paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> By the way I was shocked to see for all of $3 complete 1575 filter and LNA
> chips.

Welcome to the world of modern electronics and ecomomy of scale :-)

> The only nasty challenge is the chips are extremely small.

Welcome to the world of modern electronics and ecomomy of scale, again :-)

> The cost
> is low enough I can purchase several in case I screw it up. Its clearly
> going to be at my maximum soldering skills.

If it's QFN, don't bother soldering them by hand. The only viable way
to solder these beasts are either in an oven or using a fine hot air gun
(like the Leister Hot Jet S with a 5mm nozzle). I have not seen anyone
being able to reliably solder a QFN with a soldering iron.

DFN are borderline. They can be soldered by hand, but you need
a steady hand and a microscope.

			Attila Kinali

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown