[time-nuts] End of Loran-C in Europe confirmed.

Thomas S. Knutsen la3pna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:30:02 EST 2015

>From what I understand there have been some strongly worded letters from
the russian goverment to the norwegian with regards to the shutdown of Bø
chain (Jan Mayen, Bø in Vesterålen and Berlevåg) all in Norway.
The russians dont seems to happy with the loss of LORAN, specialy when
aurora borealis makes satelite based navigation next to useless.

The stations in Norway have been due to shutdowns before, probably in 2007
or 2008, but then several of the other countries intervened.

In my opinion, they are giving away navigational security for dimes. Try
using a sixtant when the sun don't go above the horizon for several months
in the wintertime.

Poul-Henning: I can confirm that Russian Chayka station is still on the air.

BR.
Thomas.

> --------
> In message <5672A8ED.1010802 at g7iii.net>, Iain Young writes:
>
> >The UK is (supposedly) supportive of eLORAN,
>
> Yeah, but you need 3 transmitters and if norway and france
> closes there is *at best* Anthorn and Sylt left.
>
> --

 Please  avoid sending  me  Word  or  PowerPoint  attachments.
 See  <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
PDF is an better alternative and there are always LaTeX!