[time-nuts] SMD TADD-1 distribution amplifier

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Dec 18 19:11:12 EST 2015

Bruce wrote:

>Something like an annular ring capacitor that insulates the BNC body from the
>chassis whilst capacitively shorting it to the Chassis at RF ??.
>Followed by a freeite sleeve/bead arround the connector body or the coax
>connecting the signal from the connector to the PCB?

Back in the imagineering era of the various signal-egress abatement
programs there were some connectors made like that (though not BNCs)
-- in effect, the body of the connector was the center conductor of a
feedthrough capacitor, and it in turn was drilled through for the
insulator and center conductor as with any coax connector.  You used
a big ferrite bead around the coax just ahead of the connector to
provide some resistive inductance.  It was later shown that two SMT
caps with very short loops worked just as well at all but the
higheset frequencies (several tens of GHz and up).  I have since run
into a few of the connectors at hamfests and university flea markets,
but I haven't seen any new ones for decades.

Most equipment these days just uses non-isolated connectors, all
placed in close proximity on the chassis and bonded tightly to
it.  If you're careful with what goes on inside the box you won't
*cause* any circulating ground current.  Of course, this won't fix a
ground loop caused by another piece of equipment, but the prevailing
theory is (and has been, for some decades) to identify and fix the
malfeasor on a case-by-case basis rather than expect every piece of
equipment to fix ground loops between other items that are connected to it.

Best regards,

Charles