[time-nuts] T.I. questions

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Wed Feb 4 15:58:34 EST 2015

Sorry for the simple questions. Old hands can simply ignore this
message if it bothers you.

I have an HP 5328A that I have pieced together from broken units. As
soon as I make a ribbon cable for the GPIB card, I want to use it for
T.I. measurements. I know it isn't nearly as good as a 5370, but it is
what I have at the moment.

The manual states that the Universal module adds dithering to the
multiplied 100 MHz internal reference. If I use a GPSDO as an external
reference, will this multiplying/dithering allow me to use the same
GPSDO (divided down to PPS) on either the START or STOP inputs? If
not, then how about using a different GPSDO as the external reference?
Or even an FE5680A rubidium?

If I read the specs correctly, using T.I. averaging on the 5328A, a
1000 s average should get me 100 ps resolution? With this particular
instrument, what is the best, useful resolution I can expect?

Joe Gray
W5JG