[time-nuts] Ethernet transformers for square to sine conversion 20F001N

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:47:53 EST 2015

Hello to the group a while back a discussion occurred about old ethernet 10
BT transformers for isolation and square to sine conversion.
You can obtain NOS on ebay for a 14 pin dip 2 transformer block 20F001n
from China quite cheap. I picked up 20.

As a transformer they operate from 40 KHz to 16 Mhz and then roll off
really kicks in
Driving the transformer with a square wave from HCmos they do a good job of
converting a square wave to a sign wave.
using 2 50 ohm resistors delivers 4 Vpp into 50 Ohms. Clearly 150-200 ohms
would be better to get the signal down to 1 or so volts for use.

Distortion is -68 db. Most likely the products from my sig gen to logic
conversion.
For me at least these are pretty handy.
I take no credit for the idea to use these.

Just want to share the information and details from my tests.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL