[time-nuts] TimeSource 2700

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Feb 13 16:20:40 EST 2015

John wrote:

>I recently purchased a Symmetricom TimeSource 2700 from ebay, the
>unit seems to work but I cant find any way to log into it, I'v tried
>both the CRAFT and RS232 ports but can't seem to get them to work
>using a NullModem or standard cable, does anyone have any
>information or tips I could use the get logged into this device? I
>know there is some software that can be used to connect as well but
>I can't seem to find that anywhere.

The software is called "BTMon" (e.g., "BTMon_version_276.exe") and is
(or at least was) readily available on the web.  Logging in to the
2700 requires a password.  If it was changed by the telco, you will
likely never get in.

I have worked with a number of these units and, particularly now,
when mobile providers are transitioning to LTE and abandoning CDMA,
it may be best to just keep the PRS10 and gut the rest.  I have one
stock 2700 left, and the last time I turned it on it could not find
any CDMA signals.  Also, even with a CDMA network available, 2700s
were distinctly inferior to GPSDOs with respect to frequency
stability.  The PRS10 can be disciplined with the PPS from a GPS receiver.

Best regards,

Charles