[time-nuts] XOR frequency doubler question 5/10 Mhz

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Feb 20 11:28:56 EST 2015

Hi Paul,

It isn't that it is bad, it is just that 5 and 15MHz products at
8 to 10dB down isn't very encouraging.

To make decent use of this technique, I believe that you would have
to install 20 to 30dB of 5MHz rejection, and a 10MHz low pass filter
in the output circuitry....

And, that is in addition to making a simple very stable 90 degree
phase shifter.

The 5MHz rejection filter is necessary to prevent phase anomalies
from appearing due to the beating of the doubled 5MHz fundamental
with the XOR gate created 10MHz signal.

Any time you add filters, you are adding temperature dependent phase
shifters to your circuit.

-Chuck Harris