[time-nuts] Measuring frequency rather than tuning crystal

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Thu Feb 26 16:12:42 EST 2015

Paul,

Right, there's no need to physically calibrate the LO when you can simply adjust all measurements in software, either inside the instrument or on the PC that's logging the measurements from the instrument.

This technique is used for many high-end measurements and also extends to GPS post-processing for even greater accuracy.

Look in the archives for GPS disciplined frequency counter.

If you keep the raw data (DUT-REF, REF-GPS) you essentially avoid the entire rats nest of Vref, DAC, EFC, disciplining algorithms, and hard coded tuning constants. It just becomes a correlation in software.

/tvb