[time-nuts] Recording mains frequency/phase [WAS: No GPS satellites]

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 19:41:10 EST 2015

Yes, it has been done...  and it has some very interesting real world uses:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/03/tinfoil_hatters_spook_says_nsa_can_track_whistleblowers_through_power_lines/

If we all did this, then I realize that we could identify the different power grids. However, I wonder if there is any interesting variation *within* a grid. As the electricity flows vary throughout the day, it seems possible that the phase difference between two people on the same
grid would actually change (a bit).

Has anybody done this experiment?