[time-nuts] Recording mains frequency

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sat Feb 28 14:58:45 EST 2015

Daniel wrote:

>I designed a board with an OCXO, pic microcontroller, power supply,
>mains interface with optocoupler, and SD card for data
>collection..    *   *   *  The boards also have a small Li-Ion
>battery and battery charger for short power outages. Boards are
>manufatured and the most expensive items have been bought, but not
>everything yet.

I'm not a grid-nut myself, but your project sounds very
interesting.  I designed the "simple zero-cross detector" because it
appeared to me that many potential grid-nuts may be put off by the
need to design and construct data collection tools, and I thought
that a very simple hardware detector running into an RS232 port might
lower this barrier enough to allow more prospective grid-nuts to
play.  But there is still the matter of receiving, formatting, and
storing the raw data, and the need to leave a computer on 24/7.  Your
hardware solves these issues.

Can you share the construction details (schematics, firmware, board files)?

Do you plan to make boards or kits available?

Also, you say you plan to "synchronize a counter between them."  How
do you plan to do that without some sort of common-view timing source
at each site (GPS, NTP, etc.), or do you plan to have common-view timing?

Very interesting project -- congratulations, and please keep us updated.

Best regards,

Charles