[time-nuts] Any reason not to use one power amplifierand splitter for distribution amplifier?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 5 07:47:08 EST 2015

Hi

Ok, so what does the math look like with no injection locking:

If you have two equal tones, obviously you have a hard time figuring out which one is the correct 10 MHz. That’s not going to be the situation with a distribution amp.

If you have a threat signal that’s 60 db down from the 10 MHz “carrier” that’s a single sideband signal. Run it through a limiter and you get a phase modulated / frequency modulated  signal. Frequency modulating your standard line is probably not a good idea.

How much FM do you get from a signal X db down?

1) It’s a function of how far off the signal is

2) It’s a function of the level of the signal.

3) It’s a function of the limiter

If you have an objective of 1x10^-11 at 1 second, what’s that come out to?

Phase sidebands 86 db down at 1 Hz off will put you at 9.6 ppt against your 10 ppt budget.

Bob