[time-nuts] June 30 2015 leap second

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:12:09 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Martin Burnicki
<martin.burnicki at burnicki.net> wrote:
> Systems which are simply time clients can receive the leap second warning
> via the usual protocols like NTP or PTP/IEEE1588.

Indeed, they can. Even when there hasn't been a leap-second.
Practically all internet (and otherwise?) time distribution is
unauthenticated, the leap second itself is unauthenticated.

It's fragile enough that there have been accidental false leap-second events.

... one of many reasons I'd prefer leap seconds went away though I've
personally had great fun observing them in the past. (and, I suspect,
they may have been one of the first reasons I became interested in
precise time keeping).