[time-nuts] Mechanical 1PPS Oscillator Disciplining

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 9 17:52:34 EST 2015

Hi Tom dividing down wasn't always necessary I have sample from the UK  GPO
Crystal Factory of NT-cut bars, quartz tuning fork, and Gapped Ring
crystals, the latter marked 400cps (pre Hertz :-))  )  I think these are
post WWII because they are mounted in IO base GT style tube envelopes.
Dividers were achieved with neons and locked multivibrators, where
necessary, I believe.

The original ( 1926 ) frequency source for Rugby GBR  16kHz radio station
was an invar tuning fork with a tube maintaining amplifier. I cannot find
any information on syntonising that but it probably was not necessary.
Alan
G3NYK