[time-nuts] Mechanical 1PPS Oscillator Disciplining

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jan 9 20:54:33 EST 2015

Alex,

Now it's time to share some of my favorite vintage time & frequency links.

Some very nice vintage low frequency quartz crystals (20 kHz down to 5 kHz):
http://www.cdvandt.org/luminous_quartz.htm

Lothar Rohde's revolutionary "portable" quartz-clock type: CFQ
http://www.cdvandt.org/CFQ.pdf
http://www.cdvandt.org/cfq.htm

Quartz-clock designed by the “PTR”, Germany’s Bureau of Standard, in the 1920s and 1930s
http://www.cdvandt.org/PTR%20quartz-clock.pdf
http://www.cdvandt.org/ptr_quartz-clock.htm

A British technical report on German Quartz Clocks:
http://www.cdvandt.org/BIOS-1316.pdf

The above ~10 page PDF is a must-read for any of you interested in the early history of quartz timekeeping. Note one of the authors was Louis Essen, who went on to develop the first cesium clock, the guy behind the 9192631770 Hz cesium definition of the second, and one of the first to propose leap seconds. I have more Essen info here:
http://leapsecond.com/history

For that matter, if you have time, the entire German History of Technology web site is fascinating:
http://www.cdvandt.org/

/tvb