[time-nuts] June 30 2015 leap second

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 11 10:06:00 EST 2015

Hi

If section 4 is going to turn in to a list of suspects to investigate and tabulate, I would add:

4 e) CDMA runs on GPS (not UTC) time. A “pure CDMA” GPSDO may be coded to ignore leap second data altogether. The ones I’m thinking about are the GPSTM boxes that put out very CDMA specific timing (pulse very other second not pps and all the rest).

4 f) GPS gizmos that report the leap second correctly and then handle it incorrectly (in a variety of ways..) when it occurs. Each time we have a leap second the net explodes with reports of these bugs.

Yes, the second one opens a whole other can of worms. It’s pretty well documented already that different firmware rev’s have different issues. Since the Motorola Oncore modules have been around the longest, they seem to have the most information about these bugs. There is an old Motorola notification on the VP, UT, GT and M12 issues (notification_oncore.pdf). It’s no longer on the Motorola site, but its hopefully out on the net somewhere.

Bob