[time-nuts] Current state of optical clocks and the definition of the second

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:49:33 EST 2015

I think the key to this concept is an optical comb filter.
Archita Hati of the Phase Noise measurement Group at NIST has been
researching ultra low phase noise 5MHz references using an optical standard and comb filter
as well as extensive RF components to down converting to the desired frequency.
In experiments I believe she has achieved phase noise better then -154db @ 1Hz offset.
It does appear to be the future but currently is far to large and complex for most if any
practical use. I believe this link is the paper by Archita Hati I referred addressing
State-of-the-Art RF Signal Generation From Optical Frequency Division.
http://tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/2646.pdf
Enjoy;
Thomas Knox

Thomas Knox