[time-nuts] DDS on AD9852

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Sat Jan 17 12:49:23 EST 2015

I'm new to this list, so please forgive me if I am missing some older
information not in your post.

I also believe you are overdriving the amplifier, but the oscilloscope
display scaling is confusing us. Several things stand out at me from
your message:
 * The AD9858 has a current-mode D/A output. So I assume you must have
   some transformer or amplifier on a development board between the
   AD9858 output pin and the signal you show in the "2.jpg" image.
 * The Rigol oscilloscope image "2.jpg" shows a 6.6 Vp-p signal (6.6
   divisions p-p at 1 V/div).
 * The other signal "1.jpg" or the apparently identical signal "3.jpg"
   show a 33 Vp-p signal (6.6 divisions p-p at 5 V/div). This is far too
   high a voltage to be realistically present at the output of that
   little Ten-Tec amplifier.
 * My guess is that you somehow have the scope fooled into thinking it
   has a X10 probe attached, but have a X1 connection. So I'm guessing
   that "2.jpg" is actually showing 660 mVp-p, and "1.jpg" is actually
   showing 3.3 Vp-p.
 * I can't find any detailed specs for the Ten-Tec model 1001 amplifier
   (such as the schematic or which amplifier MMIC or transistor it
   uses), but it appears to be rated for about 18 dB gain. That's a
   voltage gain of around 8.
 * With an input of 660 mVp-p, the Ten-Tec amplifier output swing would
   be (0.66)(8) = 5.3 Vp-p (if the amplifier could swing that far). But
   the amplifier is probably strongly overloaded, since it's designed
   for small signals (such as a receiver preamplifier).
 * So I think your "1.jpg" waveform is showing the output of an
   *overdriven amplifier*. But without knowing the oscilloscope probing
   details (was the oscilloscope connected using a matched 50 ohm cable
   with proper termination at the scope end), oscilloscope vertical
   scaling, and schematic of the model 1001 amplifier (including it's
   power supply voltage) it's not possible to be certain.
 * If you inserted a 6 dB attenuator (voltage ratio of 2X) at the input
   of the amplifier, I would guess that the amplifier output would
   appear reasonably close to a sinewave, although the amplifier might
   still be in compression and generating significant harmonics. The
   amplifier must be terminated in 50 ohms for it to work properly.
--
Bill Byrom N5BB