[time-nuts] question Alan deviation measured with Timelab and counters

Stéphane Rey steph.rey at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 18 09:37:28 EST 2015

Hello,

First, please do apologize for the confusion answering in the bad email. That's things I'm absolutely able to do when replying at 3 am ! Again, sorry for that and thanks Magnus for having corrected this.

Back to my setup :

There is indeed nothing on the STOP input of the HP5370a. The standard 10 MHz comes from the GPSDO HP-58503B and feeds the HP5370a Standard input. Its ADEV is given on page 240 of that document : http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/hp58503a/097-58503-13-iss-1.pdf We see that the shape is starting at about 2E-12 at 1s, increase to 2E-11 at 100s before decreasing again down to E-13 for above 10E3s...

The setup #1 was using the Racal DANA Rb connected on the START input which is specified at E-9 / E-10, given on page 16 of the manual : http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/Racal/9470-9479.pdf
The EXT input receives the 1PPS from the HP58503b. It apparently drives both the START and the STOP of the acquisition (the two lights are blinking and the time between two measurement is no longer adjustable from the front panel RATE potentiometer and the period between two samples is 1.0s (detected by Timelab).

But yes, the ADEV plot sounds really strange as it goes incredibly low after few seconds which is not consistent with the stability of the sources I'm using which is why I felt something was wrong

On Setup #2 I've only replaced the Racal Dana Rb with the GPSDO to test. I've not made this design and not checked yet anything on it. Could  these oscillations be from power supply noise ? To be checked. But how can it follow the ADEV plot of the Racal Dana Rb ? mmm.... Coincidence is not something I like too much and I believe something is clearly wrong in my measurement

But what ???

On the Timelab setup screen before launching the acquisition I've left all the parameters as it without touching them. I've just seize 10E6 in the frequency field.

Ah, by thay Magnus, for the downmixed test I've forgotten to change this value, I will check on monday when back at the office.

Stephane