[time-nuts] What are some cw signal Generators for ATE test?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Jan 19 16:20:33 EST 2015

Hi Ivan:

I built a number of automated systems for microwave test, see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/RASS_PP.html#Spur

It was only when testing mixers for specific spurs where we used the synthesized signal generators for low phase noise
so that the spectrum analyzer could be used with a narrow resolution bandwidth and the known test frequency was placed
very near the left side of the screen so only a short sweep time was needed to capture the peak.
This system would not work with an HP 8350B sweeper because of it's poor phase noise.

I did a paper design for a system that would look for spurs everywhere at very low levels, that's to say you didn't know
in advance where they might be, for a satellite project and it turned out that the HP 70000 series spectrum analyzers
were the fastest for that type of search.
http://www.prc68.com/I/HP71100C.html

The HP 4395A is extremely fast in it's sweep speed because all the IF processing is done in DSP, so the old analog
coupling of sweep speed and RBW no longer applies.
http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.shtml

The test time depends on both the phase noise of the source and the speed of the spectrum analyzer.

Mail_Attachment --
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com