[time-nuts] Racal Dana 1992 universal counter

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 22 07:48:47 EST 2015

Hi

Back a very long time ago HP came up with a “universal” interface standard to talk to instruments. It turned into HPIB. After a bit of time, the standard evolved a little and other manufacturers picked up on it. It then became standardized as GPIB.

Since the mid 1980’s, it’s been a pretty good bet that a gizmo labeled GPIB will work with another gizmo labeled GPIB. Problem details generally revolve around stacking a large combination of devices and cables together.

PC cards to drive GPIB are one way to drive a modern setup. Serial interface boxes something that you see on rare occasions. USB interface devices are the most typical way to do it in a basement setup.

Far more important (like 100X) than the card (or box) talking to the counter is weather your computer, it’s operating system, and the software you intend to use will work with the interface. The GPIB side is a slam dunk compared to the software side. Without more information on the computer and software you intend to use, it’s tough to really give more than a general recommendation. National Instruments gear tends to be well supported across a number of platforms. There are many others who do a good job as well.

Bob