[time-nuts] D term (was no subject)

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 16:30:33 EST 2015

I second  Poul-Henning Kamp's comments concerning D-terms,
(mostly) as done in the TBolt and likely other GPSDOs.

A 'D-term' helps fast loops like a TPLL where you
want a high bandwidth with the P gain as high as possible.
For slow noisy loops like a cleanup osc or a GPSDO,
what helps is a pre-filter.
A D-term and a pre-filter do the opposite of each other
and are therefore generally not used together because they
tend to cancel each other.

The Tbolt control loop has neither!
What it does is:
The P-gain in the Tbolt is set by the time-constant (& EFC-Gain)
which sets the freq error recovery time constant.
The Integrator gain is set with the Damping, which controls the
Phase error recovery time-constant.
If the damping is set high >> 10, the TBolt's loop becomes a P only
controller, AKA a Freq-Lock-Loop (FLL)  instead of a PLL.
That is with a very high damping setting, The Tbolt then corrects
for any freq error offsets but does not correct for any phase errors.

The Tbolt is indeed very flexible, allowing usable time-constant
settings from 1 sec to days in either a PLL or FLL mode.
What it is missing is a pre-filter, and to get the best performance that
must be added externally.

ws