[time-nuts] Leap Second results: cheap GPS/1PPS receivers

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jul 1 23:17:13 EDT 2015

> Okay that makes some sense. I will have to ponder over this and see how it will help.
> But in any case (which I sort of expected) it's a time consuming procedure,
> during which the counter isn't available for other use.

Bob, I suspect you don't quite have it yet.

Make one measurement today. It takes a few seconds. Write it down. Then put your counter to other uses, as you wish. No hurry.
Then make another measurement a minute, or hour, or day later. It takes a few seconds.
The measurement(s) you're making are time interval measurement from-GPS to-OCXO. Not period measurements, OCXO-to-OCXO.
The former nicely drift over time and tell you everything you need to know; the latter are boring and don't tell you much.

A couple of data points is all you need. Divide time drift by elapsed time and that's the relative frequency error. Easy.
Today, Corby was talking about measurements a year apart. The idea is the same. One measures frequency difference between clocks by making 2 (or more) measurements: now and sometime later.

/tvb