[time-nuts] beaglebones, time, web services

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 4 20:14:50 EDT 2015

On 7/4/15 1:42 PM, Simon Marsh wrote:

> Pretty much every webserver ever written allows you to run a script in
> response to a request. Nowadays there are frameworks that integrate
> closely with the language of your choice and do all the heavy lifting
> for you.
>
> If fact, the problem is really too much choice, here's a list of
> frameworks from the Python wiki:
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

Yep.. that's exactly the problem... So I was consulting the hivemind
here... we tend to be building little widgets that are more than a
blinky light, but also aren't serving airline reservation systems.

> If you want lots of functionality then head for the top of the list, but
> these are overkill for what you are trying to do.
>
> Scroll down to the 'Non Full Stack Frameworks' and pick one that makes
> sense to you. These should all allow you to route a URL to some Python
> code, and the process should be simple enough that if you spend more
> than 15 mins to get an example up and running then just ditch it and
> move on to the next one.

That's where I am...

flask does reasonably good..
I haven't tried firing off a second thread yet..

> One caveat, if you are planning to put this on the public internet then
> it's a very good idea to proxy the service behind a 'full-fat' webserver
> (e.g. apache) that can safely manage access, load, security etc. I
> wouldn't expose a BBB directly to the Internet, especially one that is
> controlling expensive physical things.

Nope.. just local access from *my* phone on *my* network

And the hardware isn't breakable(!)  at least not by anything that any
of the processors can do.