[time-nuts] Loran C returning to a station near you...

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 14 12:35:51 EDT 2015

Poul-Henning,

On 07/14/2015 06:16 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <55A4AC81.1030100 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
>
>> The safety is
>> relative, in that it takes quite a bit of more infrastructure compared
>> to the jamming of GPS, and that lies in the wavelength of the signal
>> than anything else.
>
> If the goal is a reliable backup for GPS, there are smarter ways to
> use the 100kHz band than Loran-C pulses, and there really isn't much
> reason to stay compatible with Loran-C receivers.

True. I would look at PRN-codes if I where to do such a system today.
What may be an issue is the amount of sidebands allowed, as it would put
limits on the chipping-rate of PRN-codes or for that matter other forms
of modulations.

I think another approach was being considered for the LORAN-rebuild in
the US. I don't remember from the top of my head when it was discussed
or link to the article.

Cheers,
Magnus