[time-nuts] 5 x 2 x 3 = 30 MHz

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 17 21:10:32 EDT 2015

Hi

The basic space grade crystal is in the $400 to $1000 range (depends on quantity). After they
do the 10:1 sort, the resulting ones are (effectively) $4K to $10K each. The cost just goes
up from there.If you count in the labor, it probably adds another 30% to the cost.

If you don’t do the sorts, the basic crystal is not (on average) much better than any other 5MHz
unit with the same blank size. Yield through the whole process is dependent on the batch they get.
It *may* be << 10%.

Bob