[time-nuts] Source of Rubidium Lamp for Efratom FRK

Mike Niven mfniven at ymail.com
Fri Jul 31 10:04:14 EDT 2015

Thanks Bob and Chuck for the comments.  As Bob says, the lamp is easily replaceable (just unscrews) and the service manual gives the procedure.  Maybe I'm too worried about how long the lamp is likely to last but the lamp voltage was below the range stated in both the Efratom and Racal manuals.  The lamp itself certainly works but is a bit blackened.  I had hoped that Corby's procedure for rejuvenating lamps might do more than it did for this particular lamp - maybe I chickened out too early in the heating process, but I was monitoring the local temperature with a thermocouple at over 150C consistently.  Anyway, I have asked Sematron in the UK whether a replacement lamp can still be had.  If it is available at $300-500, it is really not economic as the whole Racal 9475 cost a lot less.  Mind you, I did put in a fair amount of work repairing both the Racal main unit and the FRK to get the system working.  So, probably the best way of getting a spare lamp
 is to try and pick up another whole FRK and hope that its lamp still has some life in it.  Anybody know whether the same lamp was fitted to other Efratom Rb sources?  This would widen the search somewhat.

Mike