[time-nuts] Data Collection for Allan Deviation

zzsilicon at post.com zzsilicon at post.com
Fri Jul 31 23:44:25 EDT 2015

If I have a GPS receiver with output pin of both 1pps & 10KHz, a Rubidium clock of 10MHz, and a signal generator. How can I determine their Allan Deviation? I know the math formula, but my problem is the data collection.

I am looking through internet so far. It seems the standard way to determine Allan Deviation is to use a reference clock with a few electronic devices such as frequency counter. What if I don't have any frequency reference or any frequency counter. If I have a Rubidium clock with 10MHz output to an o-scope, what values should I record for the time series data, in order to determine the Allan variation?

Thanks for the help!

ZZ