[time-nuts] Using CPLD/FPGA or similar for frequency divider

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jun 2 15:27:21 EDT 2015

> Is this a sensible thing to consider doing?  Or would I be better sticking to AC/HC/AHC/LVC logic?
>
> Regards,
> David Partridge

Yes, please consider it. I would be very interested in the results.

We measured under 2 ps jitter for the PIC dividers [1] used with the cute little TADD-2 board [2]. One of these days I should measure your divider board with the same setup to see how it compares with a PIC. Like a CPLD/FPGA the PIC has the advantage of being fully synchronous and all on one die.

/tvb

[1] http://leapsecond.com/pic/
[2] https://www.tapr.org/kits_t2-mini.html