[time-nuts] Nature: Hyper-precise atomic clocks face off to redefine time

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jun 6 03:04:56 EDT 2015

richard at karlquist.com said:
> Can someone explain to me how this is going to work in light of the fact that
> each clock is in a different gravitational field?

They just shift from measuring time to measuring gravity.  :)

Time too good to be true
By Daniel Kleppner
March 2006
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/59/3/10.1063/1.2195297

Speaking of gravity...

A few weeks ago, I went to a talk on LIGO.  If you ever get a chance to hear David Reitze, grab it.  He's good.  He's got a talk on YouTube, but it's several years old.

These are the guys trying to detect gravity waves.  If you think time-nuts are nutty...

They are looking for the chirp as a pair of neutron stars or black holes spiral into each other.  Their signal is in the ballpark of 1 kHz.  Their typical frequency plot is full of spurs.

During the talk, he said their laser was stable to 1E-23
That caught my attention.  After the talk I asked.  The response was roughly: "That's only for a few seconds.  At DC it wanders all over the place."

Their resonator is 4 km long.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.