[time-nuts] Using CPLD/FPGA or similar for frequency

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jun 16 04:01:09 EDT 2015

Hoi Bruce,

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:24:34 +1200
Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Using an ADC to sample a triggered damped sinewave easily achieves 5ps
> resolution (eg Keysight Acquiris). With a better optimised waveform model
> and least squares fitting routine greater resolution is feasible.
> The accuracy is dependent on the ADC sampling clock stability.
> An optical frequency standard derived clock may be required to maintain
> ps accuracy for long time intervals.

Do you mean the technique that Panek et al. [1]  are using?
IIRC he got that down to 0.5ps RMS now. And yes, the major
source of error is the oscillator, according to [2].
Ripamonti et al. showed in [3] that using an LC tank instead of an SAW
filter will result in something in the order of 2-10ps RMS (after
temperature compensation). So this system is in the same region as an well
designed time-to-amplitude converter based system.

I really wonder which one would be easier to build.

			Attila Kinali

[1] "Time interval measurement device based on surface acoustic wave filter
excitation, providing 1ps precision and stability", by Panek andProchazka, 2007
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2779217

[2] "Random Errors in Time Interval Measurement Based on SAW Filter Excitation",
by Panek, 2008
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2007.915465

[3] "High frequency, high time resolution time-to-digital converter employing
passive resonating circuits", by Ripamonti, Abba, Geraci, 2010
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3432002

use without that foundation.