[time-nuts] Electronically Disciplined Mechanical Pendulum

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 21:30:24 EDT 2015

Several years ago (OK, the last millenium)  I GPS disciplined a friend of mines 200 year old grandfather clock that she had inherited.  I used a solenoid to nudge the pendulum.   Surprisingly, it worked quite well the first time.  The biggest problem was the pendulum did not swing at a 1Hz rate.   I think it was needed like 24 pulses/minute.    I later played with using a magnet/electromagnet instead of the solenoid,  but it did not seem to work as well.