[time-nuts] RFTG-m-XO KS-24019 RS-422 Query

Luke Mester lmester60 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 22:48:06 EDT 2015

Bill,

I have the KS-24361 units. This may also work with yours.

When I connect a terminal to the J6 1PPS connector I see data similar to
yours. This is sending the time.

Here is an example from my unit:

:0001000085426EE918A301DB
:0001000085426EE919A301DC
:0001000085426EE91AA301DD
:0001000085426EE91BA301DE
:0001000085426EE91CA301DF
:0001000085426EE91DA301E0

Connect your terminal and try typing this:

Please note that there is no character echo. You won't see what you type.

ptim:tcod:cont 0

to turn off the time.

then try:

*IDN?

See if the unit responds.

if it responds try:

diag:log:read:all?

to display the log.

You can turn the time display back on with:

ptim:tcod:cont 1

If this works you may be able to use the Z38XX softrware to monitor your
unit.

I don't remember the URL where I downloaded this program. Search for Z38XX
by Ulrich Bangert and you should be able to find it.

You may need to patch the Z38XX software for use with your RTFG.

Here is the patch info to make it work with the Z3811 unit. This is from
the time nuts list:

and here comes another trick:
Ulrich's Z38XX can be persuaded to accept the Z3811 instead of an Z3805.
For this to happen search with an Hex-editor in Z38XX twice for the
string z3805 and replace this z3805 with z3811, save the changes and
enjoy the various "View"s Ulrich provided.
Götz

Instead of replacing with "z3811" You'll need to use the model that your
unit returns with the *IDN? command.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Bill Hawkins <bill at iaxs.net> wrote:

> Have the subject RFTG unit. Bought an RS-422 to USB converter, found a
> simple terminal emulator (PuTTY), and scoured KO4BB's site.
> Discovered that the pins for the otherwise unlabeled "RFTG-m RS-422
> INTERFACE" drawing were reversed, and that you don't connect R to R and
> T to T. The diagnostic software on KO4BB's site will not run on modern
> Windows systems (sorry, I used Unix in the eighties but it's all windows
> now).
>
> Every second, PuTTY shows the string :110000000000000000E109FB with the
> initial Failed status and :100000000000000000E109FA when the green light
> comes on after about 20 minutes. Does anyone know how to decode that
> string (presumably hex)? The strings were copied from the PuTTY screen
> with ^C, not manually transcribed.
>
> The RFTG unit does not acquire GPS lock after 32 hours. I had hoped that
> the status message would tell me why it isn't locked.
>
> Note that this is the 1998 version, not the newer ones.
>
> Any clues to documentation appreciated.
>
> Bill Hawkins

Luke Mester
http://mesterhome.com/