[time-nuts] TrueTime AL-AK GPS receiver help

Al Wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Sat May 2 00:10:44 EDT 2015

    Does this AL-AK have a real GPS receiver in it? Does the unit have a
board with a crystal of 16.368MHz. that is multiplied by 96 up to 1571.328,
the mixing frequency to get to the GPS freq of 1575.42?

    Since the down convert-up convert is offered as an option perhaps
TrueTime used an actual GPS receiver in all their units. It stands to reason
(at least to me) using a stock off-the-shelf GPS receiver in all their boxes
would be simpler than having to do a custom kluge to work at 4 mhz.

    If this user can find out if his box has an actual GPS receiver then the
converter section could probably be bypassed.

    FWIW, the TrueTime XL-AK used an external up converter and down
converter, model 142-6150. Says it's good for up to 1500 feet of RG58. Its
manual is on line. It uses the above mixing scheme.

Al, retired, mostly
AKA k9si

> Someone on ebay advised me to contact your website in hopes that someone
> in your organization can help me with my TrueTime model AL-AK GPS
> Receiver. I need to send it to someone so that they can check it to see if
> it works and can track Satellites.  This receiver has the onboard up/down
> convertor board that changes the receiver input frequency which is set at
> 4.092 MHz. I don't have the needed down converter at the antenna. I bought
> this receiver on ebay from someone who told me that he doesn't have the
> down converter as well and can't figure out how to get it to work at
> 1575.42 MHz. He also didn't know if this receiver can be setup for a
> 1575.42 MHz by removing the onboard converter and changing some DIP
> switches. If one of your members can at least check out the receiver at
> 4.092 MHz for satellite tracking That would be a big help ...
<snip>