[time-nuts] Tymserve 2100 thinks it's 1995?

Wed May 6 12:04:58 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-05 11:58, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> And now I guess we can't blame Trimble either since their 15-year old Ace documentation [1] says:
>
> ----
>      ACE III GPS
>      System Designer Reference Manual
>      Part Number: 41265-00
>      Revision: A
>      Date: June 2000
>      Firmware: 8.08
>      3.5.1 Effect of GPS Week Number Roll-over (WNRO)
>      The ACE III GPS module has been designed to handle WNRO, and there are no problems
>      with either dates or first fix after WNRO through the year 2015.

>      Caution  Trimble OEM GPS receivers have reported the true GPS Week Number in TSIP
>      messages 0x41 and 0x8F-20 as a number between 0 and 1023. The ACE III GPS outputs
>      the Extended GPS Week Number as the absolute number of weeks since the beginning of
>      GPS time or 06 January 1980. If the true GPS Week Number is desired, the system
>      developer should ignore the extra MSBs of the Extended GPS Week Number and use only
>      the 10 LSBs.

 From that, I would say we can blame Trimble as they receive the extended week number which
supports operation up to 2137, but says there will be problems in 2015.

> Does anyone on the list know how well the http://www.heoldesign.com replacement works?

Hopefully the upgrade supports operation after 2015, but it still may not work if the
Tymserve 2100 does not handle the increased range. Neither the Holodesign N024 nor the
Trimble Copernicus II manuals state any limits similar to that in the ACE III manual.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis