[time-nuts] Small time server for mobile use.

bownes bownes at gmail.com
Wed May 13 10:07:44 EDT 2015

All interesting solutions.

For the advocates of RPi solutions, I put about half a dozen in to support some non mission critical infrastructure about a year ago. We are using them for for logging, reading QR codes, running a vending machine, kiosk web browsers, and similar tasks. In short, nothing requiring heavily lifting.

I've been incredibly dissappointed in the results. Well over half of them have needed replacement and not a one runs reliably. They need rebooting at intervals from hours to a few tens of days to recover from total lock up. The problem is not environmental, power or SD cards.

As such, I'd be hard pressed to go with such a solution for Mark's problem.

Soekris single board PCs are still out there, have a decent ecosystem, and are pretty rugged. Hard to beat for the budget requested. And decent GPS NTP implementations are documented.

Failing that a nice used Symetricomm :)