[time-nuts] Time in a cave

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu May 14 03:16:47 EDT 2015

joseph.tucek at hp.com said:
> The cave has network connectivity, and is "network close" (but not
> physically close) to a high-quality surveyed GPS disciplined stratum 1 NTP
> server which we have permission to run off of.

That sounds like it is likely to be a reasonably common case.  I'd expect the
vendors for PTP grand masters to have a good solution.

If "network close" is just cat-5 cable (no telco gear) to another building,
you may be able to put your grand master over there and let PTP do it's thing
to get the time back to where you want it.

An alternative approach would be to put the GPS antenna and receiver over
there and send the serial and PPS back over a cat-5 cable.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.