[time-nuts] TimeLab and Wine: was Re: New 5370A

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Thu May 14 12:33:30 EDT 2015

Hi Chuck,
I've renamed this thread, and expect it to die quickly.  I have a bunch of things running on my Linux system, so I see a lot of interactions that probably don't happen to others.  One thing is that Timelab doesn't like to come up properly under Wine.  For some reason, it mostly comes up with the chart/plot covering the whole frame, rather than having the legends at the bottom and at the right.
The biggest impact to me is that it doesn't play well with MPLABX.  But, I've seen other problems related to MPLABX, so suspect that the problem lies there.
Finally, I've noticed some interaction between Timelab and VirtualBox.  I was running a Windows XP client, and the client got destroyed.  That's never happened before.  OTOH, I was trying to use a clone 82357B from the boxed client, so that may have somehow bled into Timelab.  I dunno.  Of course, it could have just been a random failure that appears to correlate with Timelab.

Note that I'm not shaking a finger at John.  Wine is essentially the wild west at times, and this is one of those times.

Bob