[time-nuts] USB problems and solutions - Some what Off Topic

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Fri May 29 17:50:16 EDT 2015

Am 29.05.2015 um 21:17 schrieb Cash Olsen:
> I have been plagued with hard crashes of the computer when plugging in and
> unplugging USB devices. I have generally determined that some of the USB to
> serial devices are the worst offenders. I am also suspicious of some of the
> hubs. I wander if even the operating system is partly to blame.
>
> I'm using Windows Vista, and have several different USB to serial adapters.
> Most are Silicon Labs and Prolific. I thought I had the problem resolved
> with Prolific by over-riding the driver and installing an earlier version
> but Windows may have updated the driver, that seems to be a common problem.

Some months ago, one manufacturer distributed new drivers via the
Microsoft channel
that recognized non-original chips and changed the inappropriate
manufacturer code
in their flash to UNDEFINED. Thus, even going back to the old driver did
not make the
false chip work again since the original driver felt no longer
responsible for the fake chip.

It was a marketing desaster and they took it back somehow.
I think it was FTDI, but I'm not sure. I give Windows only control over
a virtual machine
at most, so I don't remember the outcome.

regards, Gerhard

(now back to trying to control a SR620 from BeagleBoneBlack via USB,
Prologix and GPIB)