[time-nuts] 3048A software question

davidh dhooke at gmail.com
Sat May 30 20:05:15 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Using the A.01.01 DOS version of the 3048A code and the B.01.01 version
of the HP-IB Command Library (thanks Adrian), with an 82335 GPIB card,
works with DOS6.22, DOS7.1 (WIN98) and FREEDOS1.1. All that's required
is to load the HPIB.SYS (config.sys) and ensure the selected ROM address
and IRQ are available.

It does not work in a win98 command windows; I spent no time trying to
figure our why.

It does not work with later GPIB cards (82340), as these are I/O mapped,
and the B.01.01 drivers require memory mapped cards.

Not having an old PC around, I used an Agilent 54845A, with the HDD
reconfigured for dual booting. It's kinda cool having the PC in the rack
with the 3048A kit, but there was a bit to learn to get the scope to run
two GPIB cards. I upgraded the scope's HDD to an SSD, as the old drive
had *LOTS* of hours on it.

The overall result is a bit disappointing, given what I set out to
accomplish. I can now compare the results from PN3048 in baseband noise
mode to get absolute measurements, which will be useful. The DOS code
produces calibration and result files which are unreadable to the RMB
version and PN3048, so my master plan to use the DOS cal data with
RMB/PN3048 has been foiled.

On the positive side, I know the 3048A hardware is good, the system
meets its performance specs, and I can do the 3-cornered hat
measurements on my 100MHz PLLs which PN3048 can't do.

All good clean fun, but at pennies per hour, a timepod looks like a bargain.

Cheers,

david