[time-nuts] Efratom/Datum GPSDO GPS-FC

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun May 31 16:47:20 EDT 2015

Hi

If you look at the pictures you can see the oscillator they are using for the 10 MHz. At least as far as I can see
it’s markings look like those of a VC TCXO. If you mount the device outdoors (as you must to get it to work) there
will be a lot of temperature swings. In if the little oscillator *is* an OCXO, it’s not a fancy one. Between the
simple oscillator and the outdoor location, you are unlikely to get very good performance out of the unit.

The Oncore in this device has many of the same issues as ones we have discussed in other GPSDO’s. The
design of the one in your gizmo is now approaching 20 years old. The interface strings are well documented
and you should be able to tap into the module’s i/o stream to see what’s going on. I would recommend tacking
a TTL to USB converter onto it and letting a terminal program show you what is happening.

Bob