[time-nuts] USB problems and solutions - Some what Off Topic

Neil Schroeder gigneil at gmail.com
Sat May 30 11:28:52 EDT 2015

USB-C will offer a number of things that I believe will be of benefit to
time nuts everywhere:

1) High current 5V up to 3A on every port
2) High voltage/current up to 20V/5A optionally on every port - sufficient
to power some rubidium oscillators natively, and a small boost to get the
rest of them.
3) a native UART channel - no more freaky USB interrupts/polling to get
your pulses
4) single omnipurpose connector ends with no insertion dependencies
5) Better, simpler device enumeration - while I haven't seen how it
addresses this personally, the stuff i have read is very promising.

Due to the switched controller nature of the interface, you should have
less nonstandard crap that may cause your computer to hang or other issues
related to drivers. The controller arbitrates a lot more setup details, and
the number of those on the market will be limited compared to usb
peripheral ICs.

This may be off topic from your off topic, but it seemed a good opportunity
to share this  info.

NS9