[time-nuts] Dipleidoscope

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Nov 9 17:05:31 EST 2015

Actually, it is an Edward John Dent dipleidoscope, or E. J. Dent, not I.
E. Dent. But, hand engraving an "I" is much easier than engraving a "J"
so many (not all) dipleidoscope covers were in fact engraved, "E. I. Dent."

This letter substitution is similar to that seen in the often-engraved,
"TRVTH" seen on buildings.

Dent is a famous watch and chronometer maker, with offices in London.
Edward John Dent designed, but did not live to see built, the famous
London Great Clock, popularly known as, "Big Ben."

Surprisingly, the Dent & Company survives today and still produces
custom clocks, spanning three centuries of clock making excellence.

Alas, through personal correspondence, the Dent & Company today seems
unaware of the Dent Dipleidoscope.

Larry

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)