[time-nuts] Oooold GPS receiver discussions Austron 2201 as an xample

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Nov 11 21:42:26 EST 2015

Paul wrote:

>Indeed the almanac seems to be the problem. I can see what it thinks should
>be in view. Its not been easy to backout if the satelliets are behind or in
>the future. My time mis-alignment even though the closks correct within 1
>second and the same for my location accuracy. I can manually tell it to
>track a satellite and it does. Though even at that it seems to have issues
>I speculate as poor signal to noise.  So may have to do some digging.

If there is a signal-to-noise problem, it's either the antenna
location, the antenna, or the front end of the receiver.

Normally I'd discount the front end entirely and focus on the first
two, but IIRC you said you home-brewed a down-converter -- so that
has to be on the table, as well.

Anyway, fix the S/N problem, then just let it run and it should sort
itself out.

Best regards,

Charles