[time-nuts] advice for buying VCXO

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:48:12 EDT 2015

Only the first oscillator in your list is voltage controllable (VC). If you
want to steer it with a GPS as we have been discussing, it needs to be
voltage controllable.

You will also want to consider the mounting and whether you are able to
solder surface mount devices like the second one in your list.

You will also need to consider what power supply voltage(s) you have
available and whether you want sine or TTL output voltage.

These parameters will narrow your selection considerably.

Also if you have the power available you will get much better stability if
the oscillator has an oven (OCXO) Pretty good surplus OCXOs are available
for less than $25.00. With an OCXO you might also look for one that has a
reference voltage output. If you can use this voltage to power the analog
part of your tuning circuitry, you won't have to worry about the effect of
power supply stability on that portion of your system.

The stability of any surplus oscillator is pretty much a crap shoot. You
can get them cheap but you might have to sort through a few to find one
that is good enough for your purposes..

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Can Altineller <altineller at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am want to buy some VCXO's but really simple and cheap ones. I requested
> a quote from goledge.com and their prices are around 180GBP per unit, and
> dont want to pay that much given you can buy a rubidium standard for
> comparable prices.
>
> I looked on ebay and found those candidates:
>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-8MHz-NKG3001B-VC-TCXO-DIP-NDK-New-x2pcs-Oscillator-VCTCXO-VCXO-TCXO-GPSDO/310376642284?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32831%26meid%3D822a498fde5a4f19b8d5909a2b8496c5%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D310376642284
>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PCS-TCXO-6663-12-8-TCXO-25-4-x-29-21-x-10-03-SMT-VECTRON-INTERNATIONAL-/221657383361?hash=item339bcf41c1
>

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-shipping-ONE-PIECE-PRECISION-0-3ppm-12-8MHz-12-8M-DIP-TCXO-/141771669896?hash=item2102400188
>
> The third one is nice, it says 0.3ppm, but I am not sure if the specs are
> true.
>
> Any recomendations on where to source cheap vcxo or vctcxo's? 10mhz or 12.8
> mhz is ok, and <1ppm would be nice.
>
> Best regards,
> C.A.

--Jim Harman