[time-nuts] HP 5730 data polling technique?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 7 20:19:23 EDT 2015

Hi

The basic input to ADEV is phase. That’s nice, but it’s not how a lot of people think about “frequency” sources. We
get taught that phase modulation and frequency modulation are two different things. After they finish with that there is
a little footnote somewhere that says “but the really are the same thing”. The gotcha is that most people burn out before
they get to the footnote.

The frequency plot will show you what you “expect” to see when looking at a frequency source. Big frequency jumps are
bad, straight level lines are good. Because it’s what you are expecting, it’s probably the best place to start. Flip back and
forth between the phase and frequency plots. After a bit it will be a lot more apparent how they relate.

Once you get to the point that the phase plot is “user friendly” - that’s the one to watch.

Bob