[time-nuts] wwvb gps d-psk-r details

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Thu Sep 24 17:11:56 EDT 2015

Paul wrote:

>Here is the detailed document on the wwvb d-psk-r.

Interesting solution, and a good study in
persistence.  Congratulations!  But I thought the main point of
having a working WWVB receiver was as a backup if GPS fails (or for
use in circumstances where WWVB reception is possible but not GPS
reception).  If GPS is working, and you have a GPS rx/GPSDO, what is
the point of having a time and/or frequency source that relies on GPS
but only has the precision of WWVB?  And what good is the predictive
de-psk-r when GPS is not working?

[Yes, I get that if one runs a museum it's nice to have working
exhibits even if they are simulated, and it's no big deal if the
exhibits don't work from time to time.  But the curator's solution
doesn't seem to solve the time-nuts' real problem.]

I hasten to add that I don't really care one way or the other about
GPS alternatives, particularly alternatives with the relative
imprecision of WWVB over time scales shorter than
geological.  Personally, I presume that if there is ever a
persistent, system-wide GPS failure it will be due to a natural or
man-made catastrophe of earthshaking proportions (literally) and
there will be many, more urgent concerns than time-nuts'
experiments.  But others have expressed concern over having just one
time and frequency standard available.  For them, isn't a fully
independent solution that does not rely on GPS required?

Again, congratulations on bringing this idea to fruition.

Best regards,

Charles